Friday 25 September 2009

The Lunch


Alice invited seven of us to lunch today.
'It will just be something simple.'
She made it seem effortless which is the hallmark of a good host.
It was not all about her, but all about us
getting together and having a good time.

I really enjoy cooking and years ago, before children I suppose,
we used to entertain quite formally and quite frequently
but these days I seem to be paralysed by the prospect of
an impending event called 'lunch' or 'dinner'
and so seldom commit to inviting people over to eat.

I am less fazed by an impromptu take-me-as-you-find-me event,
but really I am just being silly about this and should worry less about me
and what to cook and just make something simple.

That ought to be my new Autumn resolution.


Something Simple, 2000
Martin Decent

No comments:

Post a Comment